Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Christmas blessing

Well this truly has been a defining week here in Xalapa. Lots of things happened, good and bad, and we grow from them both. Some of the great things that happened were Christmas, our yearly conference with the mission president and his wife, while cleaning the baptismal font we found a chicken in the church, a baptism and confirmation, a priesthood ordination, some really good food, and some special changes in the mission!

As sad as it is my time as secretary is coming to an end. Another missionary is coming tomorrow and I'll start to train him in the ways of the secregatos HAHA. I have truly loved every second here and learned so so much. The greatest blessing about being here was learning from my mission president. Until I came here I never really knew him  that well. It's a blessing to be so close to him and get to hear his counsel and wisdom at times when it's more than needed. I know he's called of God, and here in this mission to help me for the short five-ish months I've been here.

I've included a picture of me with the family as we had our Christmas Skype call and it was amazing. I love my family and when the time comes I'll be more than happy to see them.

We had our baptism!!! This story was really great as it lead to some of the most amazing experiences I have had as a missionary. It starts when I was with Elder Ix. We were one day in this store called OXXO (its like a Maverick but without gasoline). We had no idea of what to do when randomly a lady enters the store with her daughter and says hermanos, I want you to come teach my daughter, she's not baptized! Naturally it's a nice little gift as missionaries to find families who aren't all members. We tried to pass by but for one thing or another it never worked out to find them. Fast forward three weeks and Elder Silverio and myself are lost in our area. A place I had never been to before and we didn't know what to do. We thought about praying. Finishing the prayer we went to the first house we saw and knocked on the door. Who would have thought it would be the sister! She told us she had been waiting for us and her daughter wanted to be baptized. Fast forward 5 weeks and lots of lessons with the family and we show up to the 24th of December, Christmas Eve, and a wonderful baptism. Our bishop was invited to baptize her and her brother also turned 12 that same day. Christmas morning in the church services she was confirmed and after the services her older brother asked if I would give him the priesthood.

Later to talk with my family for a little while. WHAT A BLESSING AND WHAT AN AMAZING CHRISTMAS! I didn't get a new iPhone or some Xbox or clothes, but this has seriously been the best Christmas. I love this work. I know God answers our prayers. Maybe we were thinking of a family of 5 or 6 but God gave us a different answer. A mom who was waiting for the missionaries to bring her and her family back to church. I LOVE YOU ALL!! Happy New Year!! See you all soon (; #junio2017

Elder Babcock





No comments:

Post a Comment